Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week 9- Double Digits

    I know in last weeks blog I talked about how it was crazy to think that me before 9 weeks ago never run more then a few miles after weight lifting was going to hit DOUBLE digit miles in a single run.... Well I made it through my normal weekly workouts (a 5 mile pace run, a speed training night and a cross between both and showed up on Saturday night ready for my long run (9 miles) I had decided earlier that I would start adding in gels (GU) 15 minutes before my workout and another 1 around mile 4 or 5. So I showed up around 10:30ish and stretched out with a foam roller and had already taken the gel on my way to the gym so I hopped on and begin my run. A strange thing happened around mile 8. I slowed my pace down and went through my mental checklist of how I was feeling. I felt like I needed more air but strangely enough my legs still had some juice so I decided that I was going to push past 9 and end with 10 miles (at this point a crazy conversation went on in my head like this...)

runner me; Lets push it you already have gone this far lets do it
old me; Am I crazy I'm not a runner
runner me; to late you are at 8.5 miles...Your a runner
old me, It would feel good to end at 9
runner me; Not as good as finishing at 10 miles
old me; I can't run 10 miles, I barely made it to 8 last week
Runner me; shut up and run
old me; lets not over do it...9 is a good workout, lets keep it safe.
runner me;  look 9.2 miles too late now turn up the music and run

     So I did just that I turned up my music and ran the rest of my 10 miles (10-13-2012 10 miles in 1:43:16 a pace of 10'18 per mile) as usual I ran with Nike plus.

     Now I'm a month away from my half marathon so I'm trying to drop the extra 3-5 pounds that should help me break the 2 hour mark, so I'm watching what I eat and trying to train my body to use Gels and Gatorade during my run to give me max results. I'm also testing things like power bars other gels (other then GU) and other drinks. If you have any suggestions please comment or email me, I'm also trying to figure out what I'm wearing so i can train in that outfit for my long run. Also if your confused I do my long run during the weekend so the 10 miles was for the end of week 8 and I haven't run my long run for this week yet since it's Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Love your self to self conversation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree that the self conversation is pretty awesome. Way to commit.

    ReplyDelete