Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Week 15- Get in Line

     So it was my 1st week of Running off the bike, which for non triathlete readers means I ride a bike, then as soon as I'm off I start running with only a minute or two break. Day 1 went perfect. I rode 30 minutes at about 17 miles an hour then ran a 5k then a mile on the stair master. Day 2 I wasn't sore or tired I hit the weights for the 1st time in 4 months and paid for that vacation. Day 3 I rode for an hour and then tried to fight my way through a 6 mile run, but in the last 20 minutes of my ride things got ugly and the Bike started teaching me a few life lessons. The way my ride goes is 8 minutes of sitting and pedaling then 2 minutes of standing and pedaling then repeat til my workout is finished (after I build my base I will do sufferfest videos)  so after 4 sets of sitting and standing my left leg started cramping, but its OK I run with them so I figured I would ride through them which is good training unless like me you haven't figured out your bike nutrition yet and are just sipping some Gatorade or water thinking your worry about calories during the run.
Very Bad idea every time I stood up my leg screamed at me to stop peddling at which point the seat on the bike started feeling like sitting on a rock so now sitting or standing was painful but instead of listening to my body I kept going for 20 minutes of pain.

Lessons from the bike

1. Take nutrition serious, it may feel like a easy ride but you still need correct amount of fuel
2. The standard seat and thin running shorts equal Pain

Then straight for the treadmill. I decided on a 2 minute roller break to try and loosen the stiff muscle that had been trouble on the bike and then I started my run, but the bike wasn't done with it's daily lessons.
My tank was empty I reached  for a life saving gel (oh that's right it was 11 at night and the store was closed so I hadn't bought any) so no gels, then I reached for Gatorade (oops drank all that on the bike trying to push the last 20 minutes) so no Gatorade, it looked like water was going to have to do. I now know 100% that I run on sugar and caffeine, without it I look like one of the zombies from the walking dead


so around mile 2.5 I was trying any mental trick I could to keep running at a 9:40 pace. At mile 3.75 The cramp was back and I was wishing I would just stop and let the treadmill throw me to the floor and curl up into the fetal position so at least I could cry and take a break but instead what did I do I tried to keep running/ jogging/limping or what ever it is called when you hit the wall. At mile 5 I did what I can only say is unforgivable I shut the treadmill off and went home with a final time of 47:37 which is ranked in my top 5 slowest training runs. Day 4 another day of weights and starting to get back into the swing of it except my legs are still heavy from the day before. Day 5 long Bike Ride (2 Hours) I decided to dial it back and do the entire workout in a easy/medium gear in the dark on a spin bike and after 90 minutes I was feeling good so I pushed hard for the last 30 minutes. As i got off the bike and on to the treadmill I felt like I was beat like I stole something. I jogged a 10 minute mile and was lucky my legs even did that. 

     To finish my training week I must 1st go into how my week went outside of training. We (Kelly, Tyce and I) set up our Christmas tree



We are doing our 2nd year of the Elf on a shelf and his official name is Noodle after the famous Ramen Noodles... and if anyone is wondering he has never been touched by Tyce because of fear that he would lose his magic ability to fly. My son's birthday was this week and we had his party on Saturday so I spent the morning cleaning the afternoon partying,  then after the party went to see The Story (awesome show) On my way home I decided to push back my long run to Sunday. Everything went fine except I skipped dinner and decided apiece of cake would be ok (it wasn't enough) until about 10pm I was putting on my running shoes I had just bought Gels and my dog (Merl-Dog) walked up to me covered in blood. I found a ripped spot on his ear and so for the next 2 hours Kelly and I took turns cleaning up all the  blood in our house and trying to get the bleeding to stop. After 2 hours he was asleep and the bleeding had stopped so I went to the gym. As I was into mile 3 I realized I was real tired and it was going to be a long 8-10 miles. It was I hit a wall around mile 4 and had to slow to a 10 minute pace for the rest of my workout. I left the gym feeling beat and worthless it was a hard week and so if anything else out there is looking to beat on me Get in Line because it seems the bike/run combo has my number. 
 Shout out to my Wife and the amazing Birthday cakes she made this year !!!


This blog was done after my week 16 Monday night workout (30 minute bike/5k run which by the way I owned so hopefully this week will be better..

1 comment:

  1. Great Job Chris. Keep up the good work and this blog because it will be nice to have when you complete your first Ironman.
    It will be Legen.....wait for it.....Dary!

    ReplyDelete